[BlueOnyx:01999] Re: Getting up to speed on Blue Onyx

Chuck Tetlow chuck at tetlow.net
Mon Aug 10 18:03:06 -05 2009

> Hi there,
>
> I have recently had a Blue Quartz (Nuonce installer) dropped into my
> lap, and i need to become familiar with this community again. Now i
> see that Nuonce is no longer around, and they point people over to
> here.
>
> >From what I can gather, Blue Onyx is just a fork, and open source as
> BQ was, and anyone can download and use it. Please correct me if I am
> incorrect (IE licensing fees, etc).
>
> Now if the above statement is true, is there a migration path? I
> noticed on the home page that there is some sort of upgrader
> script/installer coming. Is there an ETA on that? I am sorry if this
> has already been covered. I looked through the archives, but there
> seems to be no search option.
>
> Is there any security updates still being done for the BQ (nuonce
> installer) that I can use until I can get this box updated to Blue
> Onyx?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> DK

DK,

There are very good reasons to upgrade from BlueQuartz to BlueOnyx.  The primary reason is that fixed and patches to BlueQuartz had stopped.  There were some security holes in BlueQuartz that just weren't being addressed.  Primarily - the BlueOnyx team has patched the authentication engine in BlueQuartz which was prone to breakage by hacking activity - which resulted in a "denial-of-service" incident.

But you've got to do some checks first.  If you have any "customers" on the BlueQuartz that are using Frontpage extensions - they're out of luck.  BlueOnyx has no support for Frontpage - so no Frontpage service to those customers.  In our case - its not too big a deal.  We're moving most Frontpage customers to a CMS (Joomla primarily) to get rid of that M$ junk.  But we still have a couple stubborn and are having to keep a BlueQuartz server around for those few customers.

You'll find that migrating from a BlueQuartz to BlueOnyx server is very easy.  The cmuExport and cmuImport utilities make life very easy.  Just remember to also dump, copy across, and import any MySQL databases (since the utilities don't include the databases).  And if you have any software that hard-code the absolute path (like the Joomla configuration.php file or WebCal) - you may have to manually update those after a migration (because the absolute path with site# will probably change).

Give a shout if you have any questions.  I've done litterly dozens of reloads and migrations and have gotten a little experience.

Chuck