[BlueOnyx:02000] Re: eth0 issues

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Mon Aug 10 18:12:44 -05 2009

Hi Jason,

> However the GUI on the System Settings /TCP-IP page does not display the
> correct MAC addresses for each interface. It instead displays the original
> MAC addresses as if I had not changed the order.
>
> Do I just have to ignore this and accept it is a result of my low level
> fiddling or is there something I can do to fix it?

Yeah, the MAC address shown in the GUI is not updated when things change
around.

Here is the low level fix how you can take care of that:

Login to your server through SSH as "admin" and gain "root" access by typing
"su  -". Enter the "admin" password again.

Once logged in run this command:

/usr/sausalito/bin/cceclient

It will respond with this:

100 CSCP/0.80
200 READY

You're now using "cceclient" to talk with the CODB database where the GUI
stores its data.

Now type this:

find Network

It will respond back with something similar to this:

104 OBJECT 2
104 OBJECT 3

The numbers you get shown might be different. We now know that you have two
database entries (objects) which contain Network information. If you have
three interfaces, it may show three objects. There is always one object per
NIC. Note down the object numbers reported to you. So that would be "2" and
"3" in this example.

Now we take a look at what's inside one of the objects. To do so type this:

get 2

You might have to replace the "2" with the number that got reported to you, as
your Network objects may have different numbers.

In my case I got this back:

get 2
102 DATA mac = "00:0C:29:37:FE:02"
102 DATA real = "1"
102 DATA NAMESPACE = ""
102 DATA bootproto = "none"
102 DATA CLASSVER = "1.0"
102 DATA CLASS = "Network"
102 DATA netmask = "255.255.0.0"
102 DATA ipaddr = "10.1.81.1"
102 DATA refresh = ""
102 DATA device = "eth0"
102 DATA OID = "2"
102 DATA enabled = "1"
201 OK

To change the MAC address type this:

set 2 mac = "NEW MAC ADDRESS"

Of course you'd replace "2" with the right object id and "NEW MAC ADDRESS"
with the MAC address that you want to set.

It'll respond back with ...

201 OK

... or an error message if you typed it in wrong.

Repeat this steps for all network interfaces that you want to have changed.

Once you're done, you can exit "ccedclient" by pressing CTRL+C.