[BlueOnyx:02130] Re: Perl conflicts in upgrade attempt

Greg Kuhnert greg.kuhnert at theanchoragesylvania.com
Fri Aug 14 18:50:08 -05 2009

Chuck Tetlow wrote:
> You're right Michael.  That is a fairly stock BX system.  And I was
> simply attempting to perform a "yum upgrade".  Perl is the only
> package that will not upgrade.
>
> But this system does have the Nuonce
> MailScanner/Spamassassin/MailWatch installed on it.  I had no idea
> that it so brutally installed packages when it was installed - its
> worked OK from day one.  But now, the Perl upgrade problem.
>
> Do you think that Perl not upgrading will cause any future problems?
> I've got a second system that is identical, except has been loaded
> more recently (just two/three weeks ago).  It doesn't have the Perl
> upgrade problem (but may have already had the newer Perl version on it
> when MailScanner was installed).

Hi Chuck.

FYI, there are much newer mailscanner builds available that are a little
less "pushy" about how they install the RPM's that are required. There
was a major change done by the mailscanner authors to specifically make
newer versions work without any "brute force".

When Brian made his packages, the uninstaller ignored many of the RPM's
since they were installed with "brute force", and left them there if you
uninstalled.

The newer base mailscanner code has help to fix both problems, and more
recent mailscanners built for BlueOnyx will install, uninstall, upgrade,
and generally "play nice" with BlueOnyx and other perl components.

|   / \   Greg Kuhnert, gkuhnert at compassnetworks.com.au               |
| <  o  > Compass Networks - Pointing you in the right direction      |
|   \ /   Come see us for BlueQuartz / BlueOnyx modules & Support.    |