[BlueOnyx:02171] Re: Kernel Panic - Boooom!

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Fri Aug 21 08:06:59 -05 2009

Hi Jeff,

> If BX crashes like that - is it common that it's such a fatal crash
> that it's not logged?

Let me put it this way: If Linux crashes that way (Kernel panic) then the box
usually dies before it can log anything to Syslog. At the best it's able to
dump some output to the console. But that's typically all you get.

> Is there any way of preparing / running something on this server so
> that if it happens again I might catch a bit more pre-crash data? Can
> you up the level of Kernel logging somehow?

Possible. But in the end it'll most likely just point towards something that
was already fixed in a later version of the kernel.

> This box is on Linux version 2.6.18-92.1.22.el - is that pretty stable
> in terms of BX/Centos Kernels?

It's an old one. I'd not be running that. It has at least two holes large
enough to drive a truck through. So I wouldn't worry the least bit about its
stability and would instead suggest to yum update to the latest one-
Preferably the patched one from the testing repository.