[BlueOnyx:02212] Router Spec

Phil Hamer phil at magma-group.co.uk
Wed Aug 26 11:30:57 -05 2009

Hi All.

I am looking at replacing our router very soon. Our Intertex router failed
about 2 weeks ago and we are still using a mickey mouse router which I
borrowed from home.

We have a single server and a fixed IP address and have a minimal set of
port forwards set into the router.

Our experiences with cheap routers has been bad over the last few years. The
last unit (the intertex surfinbird) was not cheap and has only lasted about
2 years.

I have narrowed things down to either a ZyXel Prestige P-266H D1 or a Cisco
857.

The ZyXel looks easy to set up and configure with a web interface and would
satisfy our needs I think fully.

I have no experience with ZyXel kit and have never used any before.

Apparently this router will 'find and configure' the ADSL line details
without much intervention.

The Cisco 857 looks like a professional entry level model but from reading
around it would appear I need to learn IOW and configure with a serial
Telnet Connection.

I have no experience of the Cisco router, although we run Cisco hardware for
out phone system here and that's been good reliable kit.

Some reports on Google say that the Cisco 857 struggles with ADSL speeds on
poor connections where the mickey mouse routers get good data throughput at
high speeds on poor connections.

It also looks very hard to get up and running.

I understand this is way off topic here but would appreciate some feedback
and recommendations.

Phil Hamer.