[BlueOnyx:02285] Re: DFix update

Darrell D. Mobley dmobley at uhostme.com
Mon Aug 31 15:19:46 -05 2009

Rebooting did not fix my problem.

Greg, it appears the HTTP probe code isn't "sexy" enough, it needs a
different filter:

egrep "=http.*\? HTTP" $TLOGFILE | cut -d " " -f 2 | grep -v -f $GLOGIP >>
$TLOGIP

That code will interpret URLs that have referrer strings in them, such as:

www.mywebsite.com 72.171.0.148 - - [31/Aug/2009:07:09:08 -0400] "GET
/banners/adjs.php?n=359183435&clientid=55&exclude=,&referer=http%3A//www.myw
ebsite.com/forums/ HTTP/1.1" 200 746 "http://www.mywebsite.com/forums/"
"Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727)"

So the "referrer" above blocks a legitimate user who is already probably
pissed off that they are having to see banner ads.

That IP was the one that blocking and unblocking every 60 second earlier
today. Why is the block only lasting sixty seconds?

Another block was:

www.anothersite.org 66.90.104.20 - - [31/Aug/2009:15:31:59 -0400] "GET /
HTTP/1.1" 200 8396 "-" "WebAlta Crawler/1.3.23
(http://www.webalta.net/ru/about_webmaster.html) (Windows; U; Windows NT
5.1; ru-RU)"

I don't know what filter caught this one, but he is a bad guy, as he is
listed on Project Honey Pot as a spam harvester.  BUT, the script is
blocking him and then sixty seconds later unblocking him, only to repeat the
process over and over and over and over.

Block.  Unblock.  Block.  Unblock.  Clog system administrator's inbox. :-\

HELP!