[BlueOnyx:03024] Re: small issue with creating databases

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Mon Dec 7 12:13:15 -05 2009

Hi Ernesto,

> Ok, I expected blueonyx to complain about database X already exists...
> but no!! Blueonyx simple dropped the old X database, with al it's
> information and created a brand new, empty X database.

Yeah, that's correct.

> This should be a common issue. Imagine a blueonyx installation with
> 100's of sites.. the server admin will not remember which databases
> are created and may face the same issue.

True.

> Is it possible, before creating a database to simply check if the
> database exist, then fail with a message the site creation?

I'll look into it and will see what I can do. It could be that - at the point
where the check would need to be implemented - it may not be possible to
return an error to the GUI. But if that's the case I'll simply enforce a
mandatory prefix for all (new) databases, making sure that database names will
be unique for each sites. Which would solve the issue in a different way. But
like said: I'll see what I can do and more flexible database naming and an
error check to determine if a DB with that name already exist would be
preferable.