[BlueOnyx:03026] Troubleshooting lockups/crashes

Darrell D. Mobley dmobley at uhostme.com
Mon Dec 7 12:43:38 -05 2009

I have just installed my first BX server in my colo's datacenter this
weekend and am experiencing some problems.  I am new to collocating and
server ownership, so I apologize for my ignorance in advance.

The server is an HP DL380 G3, two 2.8GHz Xeon's, 6GB RAM, and six hot swap
146GB SCSI drives.

The server went online Saturday evening, worked fine until approximately 24
hours had passed.  While generally moving around the server via SSH,
checking, adding forwarders, etc., the server locked up on me.  It would
respond to a ping, but nothing else.  Colo host rebooted the server.  I
looked through all of the logs and nothing specifically jumped out at me,
but then again it could be that I really don't know what I am looking for.
Only weird thing I noticed was an Active Monitor notice that the network
interface eth0:0 was down had been going continuously in the logs.  Working
on that one now with colo.

I went to bed hoping that was the last of that, woke up this morning to an
inaccessible server.  It would respond to pings, nothing else. Colo rebooted
again.  Same story, look through logs, nothing obvious.

Yes, I am the same moron that put Nuonce's AWStats and OWM packages on a BX
server.  Since these were run by Perl scripts, I didn't think there would be
any real conflicts.  They work and seem to do what they are supposed to do,
but if there are binaries involved that I don't know about, I'll be the
first to yank them and get BX versions.  Quick.  I did turn off the ability
to set forwarding and the virus check option in OWM, and fixed the "webmail"
URL issue. It just seems there is something else going on than those two
packages.

Obviously a server that locks up twice a day isn't very useful, may have to
look for and where would be appreciated.