[BlueOnyx:03032] Re: Troubleshooting lockups/crashes

Greg Kuhnert greg.kuhnert at theanchoragesylvania.com
Mon Dec 7 15:07:02 -05 2009

Hi Darrell.

Darrell D. Mobley wrote:
> The server went online Saturday evening, worked fine until
> approximately 24 hours had passed.  While generally moving around the
> server via SSH, checking, adding forwarders, etc., the server locked
> up on me.  It would respond to a ping, but nothing else.

There are a two options that come to mind...

1. Security software on your box... Is something building dynamic
firewall rules? (dfix does this). You might be tripping something. Look
in /var/log/messages for firewall hits.
2. interface driver problems... I have a box that has poorly supported
ethernet drivers. Type ifconfig from the command line, and look for any
dropped packets ... Mine increase rapidly, and from time to time - that
ethernet port locks up tight. If this is your problem, let me know, and
I'll try to help.

Regards,
Greg.

|   / \   Greg Kuhnert, gkuhnert at compassnetworks.com.au               |
| <  o  > Compass Networks - Pointing you in the right direction      |
|   \ /   Come see us for BlueQuartz / BlueOnyx modules & Support.    |