[BlueOnyx:03067] Re: Any idea why all mail might be going to the admin vs the user that it was addressed to?

Darrell D. Mobley dmobley at uhostme.com
Wed Dec 9 21:44:05 -05 2009

I played with this a little tonight.

I have a "webmaster" alias on site1 and on site4 on my BX box.  I sent an
email to both.  The one for site4 went to the proper user, the one for site1
went to root/admin.

I have an "info" alias on site1 and on site4.  I sent an email to both.  The
one for site4 went to the proper user, the one for site1 went to root/admin.

I have a user "support" on site1.  I could not get an email to that user
until I commented the "support" alias out in /etc/mail/aliases.

The user "support" on site1 has a "sales" alias.  I sent an email to "sales"
and it went to went to "support".

It appears that if you have a USER with the same name as the alias listed in
left column of the /etc/mail/aliases file, you have to comment out the alias
to receive mail.  If you have an ALIAS that is the same name as the alias
listed in the left column of the /etc/mail/aliases file AND the alias is not
on the first site on the server, then it will be delivered.  If you have an
ALIAS that is the same name as the alias listed in the left column of the
/etc/mail/aliases AND the alias is on the first site of the server, you may
have to comment out the alias in the aliases file.

I think all of this is left over from the BQ days when you could have the
box name and the first site on the server be the same.  There were issues
early on with BQ systems and Majordomo email aliases not working if the box
name and the first site name were different.

Whew, this is all very confusing in retrospect.