[BlueOnyx:03125] Re: php error

Stephanie Sullivan ses at aviaweb.com
Thu Dec 17 15:03:05 -05 2009

Darrell,

First, I meant my reply in good humor and did not mean anything toward you
specifically than to make you laugh a little. Sorry if I missed the mark.

The case posed below - doing includes between sites. This would be blocked
regardless of ownership because it's between separate web roots. This can be
gotten around by specifying the directory with the files to be included in
site4 as a safe_mode include directory. This can be done globally in the
php.ini or on a per-site basis with the virtual host container of the apache
configuration (/etc/httpd/conf/vsites/site4.include - from memory so I hope
I remembered it all correctly). Php.net has all the details on specifying
parameters withing the apache config.

Your point about php dropping safe mode in v6 is quite accurate. But it's
here and for my hosting business a useful thing that has prevented a number
of problems with sloppy coding of clients.

I hope this helps. Meant no offence with my previous post. Re-reading it I
think I must have been channelling the condecendingly over the top political
pundit Peggy Noonan.

	Thanks,
		-Stephanie