[BlueOnyx:00461] Re: [ok] FrontPage Extensions

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Sun Feb 8 14:15:53 -05 2009

Philippe DIJON wrote:
> Does somebody have a frontpage PKG for BlueOnyx ?

No, and you are not likely to find one.  As it has been discussed on
this list, FrontPage was discontinued and made obsolete several years
ago by Microsoft.  As a result of this, the server extensions are no
longer available.  Old server extensions will not integrate properly
onto modern versions of Apache.  And licensing makes it illegal,
actually, to install onto a new system.

> We have some customers who want it ....

It's time that those customers become educated in the options that are
available to them.  If they are going to continue to use FrontPage, they
are free to do so but simply publish with the FTP feature.
FrontPage's "replacement" from MS is Expression Web, which will feel
somewhat familiar to FrontPage but also publishes via FTP.   Or there
are certainly other editors out there for a wide range of price that
will be excellent FrontPage replacements.   One of the more popular FP
replacements from our customer base appears to be CoffeeCup HTML, which
I think costs around $50 and is apparently very easy for the users.  (I
don't use it myself, but that is based on what I hear.)

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services