[BlueOnyx:00569] Re: Brian type permissions question..

Jeff Jones jeffrhysjones at mac.com
Wed Feb 18 16:23:09 -05 2009

I'm probably going to make people scream and run for the hills by
saying this - but here is how we manage files on our BO box:

We have a centralized FTP server called 'ServU' (made by Rhinosoft).
We create user accounts  / domains on this, and then 'map in' file
shares from various servers to user groups / accounts. These shares
appear as folders local to the FTP server - so it's just like you're
FTPing to the actual ServU server. Also - perhaps if you have 5
servers, you can map all five server folders into the one account, all
on the one login. You can also keep a close eye on what's going on via
the admin console, plus check network usage (and limit it) all in the
one place.

Now BQ / BO we use Samba to create the shares.

ServU gives people access to all of this via HTTPS, FTP, SFTP/SSH - so
it's a very nice way of giving people access to stuff, without having
to present FTP ports on the actual server to the internet.

The ServU server then sits behind an Application Accelerator which
does some clever connection management / application fire-walling
stuff etc.

It's a bit complicated to get working but very nice to use!

Phew. I think I need a rest after explaining all of that...

Jeff