[BlueOnyx:00604] Re: Email problems - 554 554 5.0.0 rewrite: excessiverecursion

Ken Marcus - Precision Web Hosting, Inc. kenmarcus at precisionweb.net
Sat Feb 21 14:19:31 -05 2009

From: Mark Jaggers

I just moved my sites over from a bluequartz server to a blueonyx server and
since then I have been having problems with email.  Whenever I try sending
an email to any of the users on any of the sites I have I get a bounce back
that says

554 554 5.0.0 rewrite: excessive recursion (max 50), ruleset canonify (state
13).

I have looked for various solutions and none of them have worked.  I imagine
it is a configuration issue, so any help would be appreciate.

FYI: I do have dns turned on on this machine but all my sites are pointing
to godaddy for dns.

thanks
Mark

<<

Mark

In your email server aliases field put
domain.com
mail.domain.com

For your MX records within your Godaddy.com account make sure you have an MX
record for both
domain.com  --> mail.domain.com
and
www.domain.com   --> mail.domain.com

That should fix it.

If it still does not work yet, then possibly the DNS on your server  is not
asking Godaddy for the DNS / MX record info because it thinks it is
authoritative for your domains.  Possibly, if your local DNS  thinks it
knows what the MX records should be for the domain, and what it "knows"  is
wrong, then I think that could also cause the problem.  In that case, add
the  MX records
domain.com  --> mail.domain.com
and
www.domain.com   --> mail.domain.com
for each domain, or delete the DNS records from your local server.

----
Ken Marcus
Ecommerce Web Hosting by
Precision Web Hosting, Inc.