[BlueOnyx:00647] Re: Occasional Boot Issues

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Wed Feb 25 05:14:10 -05 2009

Hi Phil,

> If I pull the power from the server and turn it back on, this fixes the
> problem every time.
>
> Are there any boot log files available? I looked at boot.log in /var/log
> but its always a blank file.

Run the command "dmesg" to see the messages that were generated during the
last startup. Also check the logfile /var/log/messages, as most diagnostic
info goes into that.

> It could always be a hardware problem with the eth0 port possibly as the
> ILO service has its own port?

Could be. I had a similiar problem with an old workstation that I turned into
an in-house server. It has two network cards (only one is used). During each
startup it randomly picked one network card to be eth0. If that's the card
that's not plugged into the switch, then things go a bit haywire, of course.

If you have that same issue (only if!), then this can be fixed by hard coding
the MAC address of the desired eth0 into the network configuration script.

In my cased I added the line ...

HWADDR=00:0C:6E:1A:71:45

... to /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0. Of course your MAC address
isn't 00:0C:6E:1A:71:45, so you'd have to look up your MAC address with
/sbin/ifconfig first and use that one instead.