[BlueOnyx:00672] How to get X Window System installed AND working!

Kevin Grant kevinpgrant at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Feb 26 18:00:45 -05 2009

Hello! my first post!

I found a small Kernel panic bug, but I also found a workaround, so I wanted to share it here - if there's somewhere more approriate please be kind and point me in the right direction =)

-----
in order to install X + GNOME on a fresh, updated install of BlueQuartz, I tried (as root)

yum update
yum grouplist
yum groupinstall "X Window System" "GNOME Desktop Environment"

this failed in BlueOnyx, something about 'dependancy libxxxx.0.so' (apologies, I failed to note the exact message before continuing) so I tried X + KDE instead, which appeared to install successfully. To my horror though, I got the dreaded Kernel Panic on reboot.

The solution for me was to 'boot linux' to enter the rescue mode, and

# cd /mnt/sysimage/etc/selinux
# vi config
edit the line "SELINUX=enforcing" into "SELINUX=permissive", save and
# exit
to reboot into the system. (I suggest you simply edit /etc/selinux/config after installing X, but before rebooting, to spare yourself from having to use the rescue system) This way, instead of

unmounting old /dev
unmounting old /proc
unmounting old /sys
audit(1235663670.224:2): enforcing=1 old_enforcing=0 auid=4294967295 ses=4294967295
Unable to load SELinux Policy. Machine is in enforcing mode. Halting now.

you get
unmounting old /sys
INIT: version 2.86 booting

(nb I only use X on dev system, not prod, see my original post at  http://www.nevynsblog.co.uk/2009/02/blueonyx.html for explanation)