[BlueOnyx:00270] Re: Questions about BlueOnyx...

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Sat Jan 17 09:35:46 -05 2009

Hi Darrell,

> Are there any issues CMUexport/importing a machine with a website the same
> name as the hostname?  If the machine's host name is www.domain.com, is
> this a problem?

As on BlueQuartz the server name cannot be identical to that of a site. This
has been the case on BlueQuartz for like 2-3 years now - if I recall
correctly. The issue here is that Sendmail otherwise has issues resolving
local users.

CMU between BlueQuartz and BlueOnyx works just fine.

> It is posted that an upgrading procedure that explains how
> to upgrade a BlueQuartz to BlueOnyx will also be made available shortly.
> Would it be more advantageous to simply wait until this has been completed?

Depends. In any case the upgrade procedure will not be for the faint at heart.
After all, even the CentOS developers recommend a reinstall instead of an
upgrade between CentOS4 to CentOS5. This is for a good reason. To some degree
our procedure works around that, but the more modifications your BlueQuartz
server already has, the more tricky the upgrade will get. And we cannot (nor
will we) gurantee that the upgrade won't result in a total trainwreck -
despite all the precautions we're taking.

Hence: CMU will be risk free, the upgrade will be .... tricky at best.

>  Also, does CMUexport/import pick up cron jobs and other things in the root
> user's directory?

No, CMU never did that.

> Specifically, I would like to ask about the following four software
> packages that I have installed on my BQ machine, which are used often:
>
> 1. Majordomo.  What is the status of BO's Majordomo installation as
> migrated/adopted from BQ?  I have an operating Majordomo on my box and do
> not want to lose it.

CMU takes care of that.

> 2. Awstats.  I am using the webmerch.com "AWStats v6.5 for the BQ Appliance
> Server" software.  Will this run on BO?

AWStats 6.5 is quite outdated. You should grab a more recent copy somewhere.
No idea if that PKG will work on BlueOnyx, as I don't know how it was built.

> 3. OpenWebmail 2.51 by forhire.  I am not a SquirrelMail fan, and prefer
> OpenWebMail.  Has anyone tried to install this or know of a packaged that
> works?

No idea if that will work. I know that PKG, but would rather not like to
comment on it. I'll have an OpenWebmail PKG for BlueOnyx ready in a few days.

> 4. ZendOptimizer 2.5.10. webmerch.com's "Zend Optimizer v2.5.10 for the BQ
> Appliance Server".  Does BO have a Zend package?

That Zend Optimizer version already has gathered a lot of dust. It may not
work - not sure there. Might be worth a try. However, installing Zend
Optimizer from the command line is fairly easy. However, it typically will
conflict with the IonCube Loader which is already built into BlueOnyx. Unless
IonCube is loaded prior to Zend Optimizer. So it may be a good idea if I
include Zend by default in BlueOnyx. Need to check their license again to see
if that's an option. If so, it'll be included soonish.

> The other software installed on my machine that isn't as critical to me is:
>
> 5. Chilisoft ASP. It shows "Sun Java System Active Server Pages 4.0" from
> NuOnce.Net as the source. Will BO run the same Chilisoft ASP packages that
> I have installed and operating now?

At the moment there is no GUI to integrate ChiliSoft ASP into BlueOnyx, but
the server side "stuff" of it that can be downloaded at the Sun website should
work. I'll be looking into ASP soonish to make it available in one form or
another for BlueOnyx.

> 6. DevTools. This is the webmerch.com "DevTools v1.01 for BQ Appliance
> Server". This looks like it is built in, or something similar to it.

Don't know exactly what that is, but if it's the development tools for Linux
(gcc, automake, autoconf, etc. pp.), then you can install all that through
YUM.

> 7. Dincom_System_GUI. This is the "1.0.1 System Information GUI" software
> from dincom.co.uk.  It may be built in or something similar.

Isn't that a PKG'ized phpSysinfo? If so, it's already included in BlueOnyx by
default.

> 8. FrontPage 2002.  This is the NuOnce.net "Frontpage 2002 Support"
> software.  Will this install?

No! Frontpage support for Linux was discontinued by Mircosoft a couple of
years ago. And the old Linux sources for Frontpage don't work with Apache-2.2
anymore. Even if they would, the licensing would not permit using it anymore.
So Frontpage support is dead and it won't come back.

> 9. GCC Compile Tools for CentOS. NuOnce.Net's "GCC Tools v4.2".  This would
> be beneficial at some point.

See above. GCC and any Linux development tools can be installed through YUM.

> 10. Midnight Commander. Solarspeed.net's 4.6.1 command line utility.

Already installed on BlueOnyx.