[BlueOnyx:01571] Re: HP DL380 G3

Chuck Tetlow chuck at tetlow.net
Thu Jul 2 16:59:47 -05 2009

If you use YUM or RPM to remove the non-PAE kernel packages installed - subsequent YUM updates shouldn't bring down/update the non-PAE kernel.  In that case, Grub will have the newest PAE kernel as top of the list each time YUM updates the kernel - and you don't have to keep correcting the default choice.

Leave the old kernels on the system, and you'll have to at least check that default choice each time YUM updates the kernel.  With the frequency of the updates to the kernel (bugs, vulnerabilities, etc...) - that could be frequent!

Chuck