[BlueOnyx:01575] Re: how to allow php to modify files in other virtual sites than the current

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Fri Jul 3 01:19:16 -05 2009

Hi Florian,

> i added "/home" to the variable, not "/home/" - still, i get
> "open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/www/xxx/web/data/xxx/yyy.xml) is
> not within the allowed path(s): (/home:/www:/home/.sites/xxx/sitex/)"
>
> which I find rather confusing, because everything below /www and /home
> should be allowed. (/www is just a comfortable symlink to /home/sites)

Adding "/home" (or "/home/") to "open basedir" is no longer supported in
BlueOnyx due to security concerns.

The reason is: It pretty much invalidates the entire open basedir restrictions
if scripts of siteX can access all content of any other sites.

The only way around it (at the moment and for the time being) is to manually
edit /etc/httpd/conf/vhosts/siteX and to adjust the open_basedir line in
there. But of course changing the web settings for that site through the GUI
may then overwrite your changes.

Alternatively you could create a directory on a separate partition and use
that one for such content that's shared between sites. Like "/var/sharedweb"
and then add that to the open_basedir line.