[BlueOnyx:01581] OT: Authorize.net outage

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Fri Jul 3 11:03:08 -05 2009

FYI, if any of your or your customers are having difficulty processing
payments through Authorize.net, there is a good reason.

Apparently there was a fire at their Seattle datacenter.   When we built
our facility, we took great pains to ensure that no disaster short of
leveling the building would take us down for more than 2 hours.   But in
Seattle, I guess their idea was to put the generators in the direct
spray of fire sprinklers, and not offer any protection to them.  So the
generators don't work.   Bottom line the Fire Department isn't letting
anybody in there, and nobody can get to work on restoration of service.
   If you have assets in Fisher Plaza, Seattle, I hope you have better
backup facilities.

Authorize.net is going on their 7th hour of complete outage, although
now I'm starting to see ping again from their webservers.  Their twitter
posting says their "backup data center was impacted too".   That
statement sounds more than fishy to me, but... here's hoping the pull
their act together sooner than later.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services