[BlueOnyx:01624] Re: FTP default directory

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Fri Jul 10 10:59:44 -05 2009

Hi Tjerk,

>> port already in use?
>
> If that's the original configuration and you say that should work, any idea
> why it doesn’t work for me? And.. is FTP not a socket ip-to-ip.. does the
> ftp client send the hostname in the request?
>
> Is this problem related to the warnings I have in my messages log:
> Jun 29 21:34:28 server3 proftpd[15958]: warning: "ProFTPD" address/port
> (:21) already in use by "ProFTPD server"

There are two ways how one can use ProFTPd:

1.) Through XINETd (default for BlueOnyx)

2.) Stand alone deamon.

I guess you may somehow managed to enable both medthods, which now cause those
error messages.

Check your /etc/proftpd.conf

Make sure the line "ServerType" looks like this:

ServerType                      inetd

It should *NOT* read:

ServerType                     standalone

Then - for good measure - run:

/sbin/chkconfig --level 2345 proftpd off
/etc/init.d/proftpd stop
/etc/init.d/xinetd restart

If (and only if!) your FTP service is not running afterwards, go to the
BlueOnyx GUI, disable FTP services, save the changes and then enable it and
save the changes again. That should fix it.