[BlueOnyx:01649] Re: FTP default directory

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Sat Jul 11 17:47:27 -05 2009

Hi Tjerk,

> I still get these lines every time somebody tries to connect to the FTP
> server.
>
> Jul 11 18:57:09 server3 proftpd[30145]: warning: "ProFTPD" address/port
> (*.*.*.*:21) already in use by "ProFTPD server"
>
> 15 minutes. isn't that the active monitor checking your FTP server?

Jeff was so kind to grant me access to his server so that I could check the
issue out.

The problem is as follows:

base-ftp adds a <virtualhost> container into /etc/proftpd.conf for every IP
that you have assigned to your server. However, if you only have a single IP
assigned, then it isn't really necessary to have a <virtualhost> container.
Because FTP will listen on that IP anyway.

And that is where this error message comes from. Whenever someone (active
monitor for example - or a user) connects to FTP, ProFTPd will log a complaint
into /var/log/messages. This is nothing worrysome, but of course the logwatch
emails get cluttered with unneeded entries.

Work around:

Add the following line to /etc/logwatch/conf/ignore.conf:

warning: "ProFTPD" address/port

That will suppress those messages from showing up in the Logwatch emails.