[BlueOnyx:01674] Re: e-mail issue

Stuart Clark (Datacenta) stuart.clark at datacenta.net
Tue Jul 14 06:28:28 -05 2009

Hi

Does nobody have an answer to the e-mail problem stated below. The box
is clearly not doing any external MX lookup for domains hosted within
even though it is not set to be authorative for e-mail. The client was
on an ubuntu box before using sendmail and did not have a problem. I do
not want to have to create a forwarding mailbox so that this can be made
to work. Surely if sendmail was forced to always do an MX lookup
regardless of what was hosted it would not have this issue. Is this not
a bug that needs to be sorted.

Jul 14 11:55:24 localhost sendmail[32093]: n6EAtOOw032093: from=apache,
size=3217, class=0, nrcpts=1,
msgid=<200907141055.n6EAtOOw032093 at server.com>, relay=apache at localhost
Jul 14 11:55:24 localhost sendmail[32096]: STARTTLS=server,
relay=localhost [127.0.0.1], version=TLSv1/SSLv3, verify=NO,
cipher=DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA, bits=256/256
Jul 14 11:55:24 localhost sendmail[32093]: STARTTLS=client,
relay=[127.0.0.1], version=TLSv1/SSLv3, verify=FAIL,
cipher=DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA, bits=256/256
Jul 14 11:55:24 localhost sendmail[32096]: n6EAtOx4032096:
ruleset=check_rcpt, arg1=<user at domain.com>, relay=localhost [127.0.0.1],
reject=550 5.1.1 <user at domain.com>... User unknown

>> I have setup a site www.domain.com and have disabled e-mail for
domain
>> and removed the e-mail server alias as the mail is handled elsewhere.
>> The client has a contact us form which uses a PHP mailer. The
>> problem is
>> that when this form is submitted the server is throwing the following
>> error.
>>
>> Your message

Hi

Trying to grep from within the /etc/mail folder did not produce any
output no matter how long I waited. I ended up using grep "domain.com"
/etc/mail/* instead which produced a quick print out.
The results of the grep are as follows:

/etc/mail/access:### Start Block Email for Virtual Site: test.domain.com
###
/etc/mail/access:domain.com           ERROR:5.1.1:550 User unknown
/etc/mail/access:test.domain.com              ERROR:5.1.1:550 User
unknown
/etc/mail/access:### END Block Email for Virtual Site: test.domain.com
###
Binary file /etc/mail/access.db matches
/etc/mail/local-host-names:www.domain.com
/etc/mail/virtusertable:@www.domain.com       error:nouser No such user
here
/etc/mail/virtusertable:sys at www.domain.com    sys
/etc/mail/virtusertable:majordomo at www.domain.com      site6-majordomo
/etc/mail/virtusertable:owner-majordomo at www.domain.com
site6-owner-majordomo
/etc/mail/virtusertable:majordomo-owner at www.domain.com
site6-majordomo-owner
/etc/mail/virtusertable:root at www.domain.com   root
/etc/mail/virtusertable:nobody at www.domain.com nobody
/etc/mail/virtusertable:MAILER-DAEMON at www.domain.com  MAILER-DAEMON
/etc/mail/virtusertable:apache at www.domain.com apache
/etc/mail/virtusertable:asis-nh1 at www.domain.com       asis-nh1
/etc/mail/virtusertable:robertn at www.domain.com        asis-nh1
Binary file /etc/mail/virtusertable.db matches

One thing I have noticed from this is that when the original site was on
test.domain.com there were entries created in the /etc/mail/access file
but when the change was made over to the host name of www.domain.com
there are no corresponding entries.

Regards,

Stuart

>>On Tue, 2009-06-30 at 10:24 +0100, Stuart Clark (Datacenta) wrote:
>> Issue 1
>>
>> I have setup a site www.domain.com and have disabled e-mail for
domain
>> and removed the e-mail server alias as the mail is handled elsewhere.
>> The client has a contact us form which uses a PHP mailer. The problem
>> is
>> that when this form is submitted the server is throwing the following
>> error.
>
>Do you have anything under Services -> Email for this vsite? If this
>server is not handling email for the domain, don't specify any Email
>Server Aliases, no need to disable.
>
>--
>Robert

I have tried it disabled without the e-mail alias and enabled without
the e-mail alias. No change.

> Hi
>
> Two issues.
>
> Issue 1
>
> I have setup a site www.domain.com and have disabled e-mail for domain
> and removed the e-mail server alias as the mail is handled elsewhere.
> The client has a contact us form which uses a PHP mailer. The problem
is
> that when this form is submitted the server is throwing the following
> error.
>
> Your message

There is no DNS set on this box and we use external DNS servers which
show the records to be correct:

domain.com.             IN      MX      10 mail.domain.com.
domain.com.             IN      MX      20 mail2.domain.com.
mail.domain.com.        IN      A       X.X.X.175 (external mail)
www.domain.com. IN      A       X.X.X.130 (BO)
mail2.domain.com.       IN      A       X.X.X.37 (external mail)