[BlueOnyx:01678] Re: e-mail issue

Stuart Clark (Datacenta) stuart.clark at datacenta.net
Tue Jul 14 08:29:26 -05 2009

>>Hmmm, in one of the messages you mention that the domain is listed
>>in the /etc/mail/access file. Remove those entries and rebuild the
>>access file (makemap hash access < access); restart sendmail and
>>see what happens.
>>
>>--
>>Larry Smith
>>lesmith at ecsis.net

Thanks Larry

This did fix my issue, I removed the entries and restarted sendmail and
the mails are now leaving the box.
I rebuilt the access file after to make sure that the entries did not
get put back in.

Stuart

>>Hi Stuart,
>>
>>I don't know if I understand your problem correctly.
>>
>>You have the domain "www.domain.com" on your server. That domain has
email
>>delivery disabled by ticking the box "disable email for domain".
>>Next you have a PHP script somewhere on the server that tries to send
an email
>>to user at domain.com:
>>
>>Quote:
>>Jul 14 11:55:24 localhost sendmail[32093]: n6EAtOOw032093:
from=apache,
>>size=3217, class=0, nrcpts=1,
>>msgid=<200907141055.n6EAtOOw032093 at server.com>, relay=apache at localhost

>>Jul 14 11:55:24 localhost sendmail[32096]: STARTTLS=server,
>>relay=localhost [127.0.0.1], version=TLSv1/SSLv3, verify=NO,
>>cipher=DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA, bits=256/256
>>Jul 14 11:55:24 localhost sendmail[32093]: STARTTLS=client,
>>relay=[127.0.0.1], version=TLSv1/SSLv3, verify=FAIL,
>>cipher=DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA, bits=256/256
>>Jul 14 11:55:24 localhost sendmail[32096]: n6EAtOx4032096:
>>ruleset=check_rcpt, arg1=<user at domain.com>, relay=localhost
[127.0.0.1],
>>reject=550 5.1.1 <user at domain.com>... User unknown
>>

>>And of course the email is rejected, because the domain www.domain.com
doesn't
>>accept any email - because that's what you set it to.
>>
>>Maybe I misunderstood something there, but what happens here is
exactly what
>>should happen. If email delivery for that domain is disabled, then it
won't
>>accept any emails. Regardless if the email comes from the outside, or
if it is
>>generated on the inside.
>>
>>Ff you want to be able to email to user at domain.com, then you must
untick the
>>"disable email for domain" box for that virtual site. And you also
should have
>>MX records and must have the email server alias "domain.com".
>>
>>Or if you simply want that script to be able to send emails, then it
should be
>>perfectly able to do so. It can already send to anyone - as long as
the
>>recipient is not a user (or alias) of the site www.domain.com.
>>
>>--
>>With best regards
>>
>>Michael Stauber
Back to top

Michael, I had tried this many ways through frustration, even if I had
it set to enable e-mail for the domain and had the alias removed it
still did not allow the relay to happen. I am not sure that the access
file is being rebuilt correctly when enabling the mail within the gui
after the checkbox to disable mail has been set.

>>Subject: e-mail issue
>> Tjerk Hacquebord

----------

>>Could it be that you played around with the Disable e-mail and E-mail
server
>>aliases?
>>I feel that sometimes the 'block e-mail' rules stay if you;
>>- have an E-mail server alias set
>>- disable e-mail for that domain.
>>- remove the E-mail server alias
>>- enable e-mail
>>
>>You could fix that by manually rebuild the access list or by adding
the
>>e-mail server alias, then enable mail, then remove e-mail server
alias.

Tjerk

You may have hit the nail on the head. The alias was set as default and
the mail was enabled. I had then disabled the mail and removed the
alias. After reading up I also noticed that the mail should be enabled
for this to work and had set this without the mail alias but still had a
problem.
To mirror what I had said before I believe the access file is not being
rebuilt properly if you then change the values.