[BlueOnyx:01753] Re: protecting directory

Greg Schiedler greg at limo.net
Thu Jul 16 15:30:59 -05 2009

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 11:51 AM, <blueonyx at larsi.de> wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> a customer of us wants to secure his images directory. So he planned to put
> his images dir besides the web dir, so no one could link directly to the
> images.
>
> Unfortunatly I have no idea, how to do this. His website uses php, but
> there is no chance to use sessions. So putting the images dir above the web
> dir should be the easiest solution for him.
>
> Could someone tell me, how to tell apache to use this directory for the
> images?
>
> Thanks,
> Lars.
>
> i have used for years a simple index.php file. You can add additional ../
> (Period Period Slash) for the location depending on what level of the
> directory tree your trying to protect.

As it is shown http://www.domain.com/images  will re-direct the browser to
http://www.domain.com (Location ../ is up one level)

Will not protect a direct link to the image but will not allow a directory
listing.

index.php

<?php

/**
 * index.php
 *
 * Copyright (c) 2003-2009 Limo.Net Internet Services
 *
 * This file simply takes any attempt to view source/image files and sends
those
 * people to the home page.
 *
 */