[BlueOnyx:01825] Re: Second Server Hacked

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Sun Jul 26 17:41:34 -05 2009

Ralf Quint wrote:
> How would they have been able to gain (physical) access to that box? D
> o you have it sit directly on the Internet or behind a proper firewall?
> If TCP/81 (for https web UI access) and TCP/22 (for shell access) are
> not accessible from the web in the first place (or only with
> restricted source IPs), they can guess the password all they want... :?

Well, strictly speaking, PHYSICAL access would mean somebody's sitting
at console, with PHYSICAL access to the box (ie: could touch and feel
it).   So I think we could probably rule that out... or it's an inside
job!  :)

Also, the notion that the server would have to sit behind some sort of
external firewall isn't one I would give a lot of merit.   If it helps
you sleep better at night to do so, great.   But I'd hardly call it a
requirement.   Out of a few hundred servers that we run, I could count
on 1 hand the number of BQ or BX systems that sit behind a firewall.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services