[BlueOnyx:01846] Re: BlueOnyx Inxtall CD's

Chuck Tetlow chuck at tetlow.net
Mon Jul 27 11:14:04 -05 2009

OH - I can quote one worse than that!

The company I support had 11 Bluequartz servers running to support their customer base.  The owner decided he wanted to "consolidate" so he has fewer boxes.  He bought a big-honkin HP server, loaded Windows2003 server, and MS virtual server.  He created six different servers, had me load a combination of Bluequartz (for Frontpage support) and Blueonyx on them.  Then he had me migrate 130+ domains onto the virtual server on this one big machine.

About three months later, the local power company cut the power!  Before he could get there and start the generator, the UPSs died and all servers went down.  When the power came back up - the HP started.  And guess what - HE had left a BlueOnyx CD in the drive of the big box when he created the last virtual server.

Yep, it loaded BlueOnyx on the big HP machine - wiping out Windows, all the virtual sites, and all the domains!  Man was he pissed!  But he'd done it to himself (luckily) and had no one else to blame.  Since then, we've been disconnecting the optical drives in our servers.  He's paranoid after having to rebuild that entire server, the virtual machines, and all those domains!!

Yes friends - BEWARE!  Do NOT leave a BlueOnyx CD in your server's drive.  If the machine is rebooted for any reason, the CD will start and load BlueOnyx right over the top of whatever is on that server.  Everything already on the machine will be lost!!

Chuck