[BlueOnyx:01852] Re: Un-subscriptions...?

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Mon Jul 27 12:00:38 -05 2009

Hi Jeff,

I fully agree with Gerald: A forum is a time waster. With a mailing list you
just glance into the folder in your email client and only see the new messages
sticking out. With one glance you can usually determine if it's an item of
interest or not.

With a forum it takes much more time as you constantly have to juggle back and
forth, going to the forum index, clicking on the topic that has new replies,
skipping the messages you've already seen and then going back to the index to
find the next new message. That's not really productive.

Searching the existing mailing list archive can be done through Google,
through BlueQuartz.us ( http://www.bluequartz.us/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=58 ),
through the Archive ( http://www.blueonyx.it/pipermail/blueonyx/ ) or an email
client. So those means are also there, although they may not be perfect. I'll
see what I can do about a better search interface directly on the
bluequartz.it site.

As for membership levels: We have +300 subscribers to the list at the moment
and like on any list we have the usual spread between active and passive
participants. The few unsubscribe requests we've had are not an indicator
about a lack of interest in BlueOnyx. In fact we appear to have passed the
1000th BlueOnyx install sometime earlier this month, although with all those
YUM mirrors we now have it gets impossible to obtain accurate figures in that
regards.