[BlueOnyx:01887] Re: Centos

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Thu Jul 30 14:37:01 -05 2009

Rodrigo Ordonez Licona wrote:
> I think the worst case scenario is that it will change to another domain,

Not to dive too far into speculation, but I think the absolute worst
case is that Lance shuts the whole thing down, and now it becomes a
matter of manually changing every CentOS box to pull its updates from
new repos.

In a "friendly" move, the publishers can pop in a YUM update to tell all
the boxes to automatically find their new repos.   In an "ugly" one,
significantly more end-user intervention is required.   And then, of
course, there is the strong likelihood that a large percentage of
users/admins will not have heard of the change, their updates will
simply stop, the website is gone, and they'll assume that the distro is
dead.

However, with the sheer size of the CentOS installed base, I think it's
probable that (a) Lance won't make that public an enemy of himself and
(b) even if I'm wrong about "a" then word will spread about the new domain.

Just my 2 cents, and that's really more speculation than I wanted to get
into in the first place.  I guess instead of pizza for lunch I should
have bitten my tongue.  ;)

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services