[BlueOnyx:01375] Re: CNAMES

Jeff Folk jefffolk at mac.com
Tue Jun 9 07:56:36 -05 2009

What he means by messy construction is...

Making a web request, a server needs the IP address for the name.
CNAMEs forward the request to another name, requiring another DNS
lookup, in this case yet another name, requiring a third DNS lookup.
Use of A records instead of CNAME aliases for names keeps DNS traffic
down and returns IP addresses quicker.

Regards;
Jeff