[BlueOnyx:01428] Re: Email Alias issues

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Wed Jun 17 07:24:50 -05 2009

Hi Steve,

> I may have found my issue, but do not know the resolutions
>
> the sendmail.cf file does not contain the reference to 'local-host-names'
>
> local-host-names is a file that BO updates with all the domain names the
> server accepts and sends mail for.
>
> the reference in the sendmai.cf file is virthosts, which has zero bytes in
> it.
>
> How do I fix?
>
> I have unsuccessfully
>
> 1. edited the sendmail.mc file, and added
>   VIRTUSER_DOMAIN_FILE(`-o /etc/mail/virtual-host-names')dnl
>
> 2. stopped sendmail
>  /etc/sbin/service sendmail stop
>
> 3. compiled sendmail.mc into sendmail.cf
>  m4 sendmail.mc > sendmail.cf
>
> 4. looked to see my changes in sendmail.cf
>
> 5. started sendmail
>  /etc/sbin/service sendmail start
>
> no complaints from m4, but alias test emails' still bounce back with
> 550 cuda_nsu 5.1.1 <<user unknown>

I can't replicate this on a stock BlueOnyx. Our /etc/mail/sendmail.cf and
sendmail.mc use /etc/mail/local-host-names - as they should.

Also /etc/mail/local-host-names is updated by a handler whenever a site is
added, modified or removed. It then adds, changes or removes the hostname of
the site from /etc/mail/local-host-names

Please run the following command on your server and report back your findings:
"rpm -qa|grep sendmail"

The output should look like this:

# rpm -qa|grep sendmail
sendmail-cf-8.13.8-2.el5
sendmail-devel-8.13.8-2.el5
sendmail-8.13.8-2.el5
sendmail-doc-8.13.8-2.el5

If you're running a different version of Sendmail (like one grabbed from
RPMforge and therelike), then this could explain the problems.

A copy of the "stock" BlueOnyx sendmail.mc can be found here:

/usr/sausalito/configs/sendmail/sendmail.mc

Please compare it with your /etc/mail/sendmail.mc to see if there are any
differences.

This can be done quickly with this command:

diff /etc/mail/sendmail.mc /usr/sausalito/configs/sendmail/sendmail.mc

If there are no differences, it will return to the prompt without giving any
output. Otherwise it'll show which lines are different.