[BlueOnyx:01447] Re: Installing BlueOnyx on 64-bit architecture

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Thu Jun 18 20:16:43 -05 2009

Hi enid vx,

It's like Chris said: At the moment we see no point in creating a 64 bit
branch of BlueOnyx, as the 32 bit version of it runs fine on 64 bit hardware.

Some of the code is not 64 bit ready yet. Even if it were, it would increase
code maintenance, testing and patch release efforts by a factor of two. For
next to no real gain.

There are some reasons to explore 64 bit in the future, though. One of it is
that hard disk sizes are getting bigger and bigger and the current CentOS5
kernel (and the Grub boot manager) have the limitation that they cannot really
manage hard disk sizes larger than 2 TB. At that point one needs GPT support
which is currently in it's infancy on RHEL5 or CentOS5.

That sure will change when RHEL6 or CentOS6 comes around.

> I have not tried it yet, but I have a Nuonce BQ 4.8 which I didn't manage
> to install on this kind of architecture. There were some errors regarding
> the kernel not supporting the architecture.
> I got BlueOnyx 5.3 image and I'll give it a try. Will let you know the
> results.

With BlueOnyx that's just a matter of picking the right kernel from the
CentOS5 YUM repository. There are PAE/SMP and Enterprise kernels which support
multi-processor systems and more than 4GB of memory.