[BlueOnyx:01453] Re: Password failure

Richard Sidlin richard at sidlin.co.uk
Sat Jun 20 11:49:27 -05 2009

Thanks Chuck. Fantastic.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Chuck Tetlow
  Sent: Thursday, June 18, 2009 2:19 PM
  Subject: [BlueOnyx:01442] Re: Password failure

  Old story - I've seen it dozens of times.

  Its the same story with the authentication subsystem broken - probably because someone tried to hack in.  It happens everytime there is a strong hacking attempt on the BlueQuartz machines.  It breaks something between the network services that require authentication and the actual authentication subsystem.  They're both still running - but won't play together.

  Use this script to fix it:

  #!/bin/bash
  /sbin/service sendmail stop
  /usr/bin/killall -9 sendmail
  /sbin/service spamassassin stop
  /sbin/service dovecot stop
  /usr/bin/killall -9 pop3-login
  /usr/bin/killall -9 dovecot-auth
  /sbin/service dbrecover stop
  /sbin/service auditd stop
  rm -f /var/db/log*
  /sbin/service auditd start
  /sbin/service dbrecover start
  /sbin/service saslauthd restart
  /sbin/service dovecot start
  /sbin/service spamassassin start
  /sbin/service sendmail start

  The only difference, if you've got some of the Nuonce packages installed - I add a line to also kill all MailScanner processes.  As you can see - that script will stop all services that need network authentication (except SSH).  It then restarts the authentication subsystems.  And finally - it restarts the network services.  I've saved that script in a directory under /root called /root/bin and named it fix-server.  That way, I can log in (only as admin and then "su -" to root) and run it when some scumbag tries to hack one of my servers.

  Just remember - it has to be run as "root".  Even running as "admin" won't work - only root can do all those things.  But it will fix a broken BQ every time its been hacked at.  But if you're still having any problems - reboot!

  Good luck.

  Chuck