[BlueOnyx:01543] Re: E-mail and FTP problem

Chuck Tetlow chuck at tetlow.net
Tue Jun 30 10:56:27 -05 2009

I had a similar situation with a BQ server and a customer who wanted to run his own Exchange server.  He also had a "contact us" form on his website that produced a error every time it was used.

I found that even if you disable e-mail for a domain in a BQ or BX server - it still thinks its god for that domain.  So it won't even do a DNS MX lookup - assuming that it should be handling e-mail for any domain that is on the box.  But with the e-mail disabled or no users by that name on itself, it can't deliver the message and you get an error.

Its been too long since that problem - I don't remember the exact fix.  But I seem to remember it was in the sendmail files in /etc/mail.  You'll find pieces of that domain left in files like access, virthosts, virtusertable, alias, etc...  Remove all traces of that domain, restart sendmail and it should work.

Monitor the /var/log/maillog for errors if it keeps occuring.  Remember, the root of the problem is the server thinks it owns that domain and isn't even attempting to look up the mail record off-box.

Oh yea - if you're doing DNS on the same server, make sure the records are correctly pointing the mail to the off-BX mailserver.

Chuck