[BlueOnyx:00728] Re: From bluequartz to blueonyx

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Sat Mar 7 07:20:09 -05 2009

Hi Soeren

Soeren Straszek wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a bluequartz server i what to "upgrade" to a blueonyx server.
> How do i do that?

Without re-imaging? You do not.

> The server is i an remote data-center, so i do not have direct access
> to the server, only remote access.
>
> Any tip and how-to's and guides on this would help me a lot.

There is no supported upgrade to BlueOnyx without wiping the machine
clean and starting from scratch.   Therefore, if you want to make the
move you will need to back up the data to a remote system (ie: cmuExport
or raqbackup.sh), insert the BlueOnyx CD, install BlueOnyx, then
cmuImport in your data.

If you do not have direct access to the system, perhaps your datacenter
will assist you with the remote hands (we would) or provide an IP-KVM
for you to manage the install via remote (we would).

Michael has mentioned that sometime in the future there may be a
procedure to do the upgrade without wiping a disk, but in his words it
will "not be for the weak of heart".  Performing the procedure on a live
production machine should be considered EXTREMELY risky and you should
be prepared to lose everything.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services