[BlueOnyx:00776] Re: FW: Squirrelmail wont capture default username

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Sat Mar 14 21:27:58 -05 2009

Hi Rodrigo,

> The thing is that you have to go into the OPTIONS - USER PREFERENCES
> SECTION - and fill In the email address so emails are sent out properly.
>
> This behaviour should be Automatic ---.

Sorry, I don't think so. You have to take into account that a site may not
always be named www.site.com and there could be legitimate cases where you
have something like ...

host1.site1.com
host2.site1.com
host3.site1.com

.. and so on. All of them with their own email accounts and their own webmail
users. So automatically shortening it for everyone to user at site1.com doesn't
cut it. Even if it were technically feasible with a lot extra coding - which
it really isn't.

> (and somene might impersonate another email account on the server just by
> writing here another email account - kind of a security issue here.

Which you have with any webmail program. With RoundCube and OpenWebmail users
could also fake the sender address, same as they can do with PHP or Perl
scripts hosted in their own webspace. However, this can be traced by checking
either the email headers and/or the server logs, which should give some very
solid hints about the real sender.