[BlueOnyx:00796] Re: httpd won't start (TAR-ball installer)

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Tue Mar 17 01:51:48 -05 2009

Hi Rod,

> Gerald & Stephanie, thanks for the suggestions.  Unfortunately, the
> links Gerald supplied didn't provide me new information.  The links
> basically confirmed the syntax appears correct.  I installed BX from the
> iso and compared the /etc/httpd/conf.d/ssl_perl.conf files...they are
> identical.  The BX installation only has php5 so it must use it for the
> admin interface these days.  The installations from the tarball and the
> iso appear identical, but there must be some difference I'm not seeing.
>
> Stephanie suggested verifying cced was running...it is as confirmed by
> '/etc/rc.d/init.d/cced.init status'
>
> I'm still puzzling over this.

I found the issue: When you use the TAR-ball installer you have to disable
SELinux first. Or otherwise CCEd, Apache and AdmServ won't start.

Instructions for disabling SELinux can be found here:

http://sysdigg.blogspot.com/2008/01/how-to-disable-selinux-in-centos-5.html

I'll change the installer script so that it complains if SELinux is on and
that it gives instructions on how to turn it off.