[BlueOnyx:00814] Re: Mail not importing with cmuImport

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Tue Mar 17 18:29:45 -05 2009

Hi Robert,

> Just got a vsite imported with cmuImport from a Strongbolt server
> running CMU 2.55 (but says 2.53), but none of the mail was imported. All
> other seems fine. I rechecked quotas at the source and the highest is
> 63% at 331MB. There is another 200MB+ mailbox and more, some even empty
> out of the 5 mailboxes in this vsite. Has anyone ran into the issue?

Mail can sometimes be an issue. At the wost (if the mailbox cannot be created)
it may create an empty mailbox and could leave the old mails lying around in
the users home directory. Forgot what the file is named. Could be "mbox" with
some kind of extension or "mail.msg" or thereabouts.

This typically happens if the source server was using a borked OpenWebmail
setup where "mbox" had been a symbolic link to mail/saved-messages.

> The complete import went like this...
>
> [root at vnyxbo backup]# /usr/sbin/cmuImport -d /home/backup -i x.x.x.x -D
> Reading config file: /etc/cmu/cmuConfig.xml
> LogFile location is /home/cmu/cmu.log
> Enter admin's password:
> Password ok.
> exporting user adm1
> ERROR: cannot retrieve virtual site for user adm1
> exporting user adm2
> ERROR: cannot retrieve virtual site for user adm2
> exporting user adm3
> ERROR: cannot retrieve virtual site for user adm3
> exporting user adm4
> ERROR: cannot retrieve virtual site for user adm4
> exporting user adm5
> ERROR: cannot retrieve virtual site for user adm5

The above is fine. Its just hollars on those extra admins you've had.

> restoring archive for user1
> ERROR Cannot set ownership for file:
> /home/.sites/28/site1/.users/111/user1/web/index.html

That's also OK. The current versions of CMU have issues setting the ownership
of the first file they extract from a site's or user's tarball. Am looking
into that, but typically that's no deal breaker.

> User user1 has no mail spool

There you got your problem!

So CMU tells us that the user in question didn't have a file called "mbox" in
his home directory when the export was made. It could possibly have been just
as I inidcated previously: That mbox instead was a symbolic link to
mail/saved-messages. Which is generally a bad idea as a mailbox should never
ever be anything but a file.

So the problem here is rather not CMU, but already started with the mailbox
layout on the source server prior to the CMU export being generated.

To fix this (after the child has already fallen into the well) take a look at
this user's home directory and peek into mail/saved-messages. Check if that
looks like his mailbox and if so, copy it to ~username/mbox. Make sure the
mbox file afterwards has the UID of the user, the GID of his group (siteXX)
and also that the file has "600" permissions.