[BlueOnyx:00854] Re: Feature Requests

Greg O'Lone blueonyxlist at stretchedout.com
Sun Mar 22 21:53:49 -05 2009

On Mar 22, 2009, at 9:15 pm, Michael Stauber wrote:

> Hi Greg,
>
>> Is there an official place to enter feature requests or should I post
>> them here?
>
> We have a ticket system for such things:
>
> http://devel.blueonyx.it/trac/newticket
>
> But the list is also ok.

For now, I'll put it here... perhaps we can get a good discussion
about it anyway...

What I'm thinking of is a way to set username prefixes for each site.
I've been reading all that I can find about Sausalito, and after
putting some thought to it, I'm going to need to change the
userAddHandler.php file to make it work properly. I'm thinking that
I'd rather it be done at the distribution level so that it doesn't
screw things up later. So here's what's going through my mind:

An optional VSite boolean property (userPrefixEnabled) which enables
username prefixes for each site. False would leave the current
behavior intact. userAdmin access only.

An optional VSite alpha property (userPrefix) which would allow us to
override the default prefix.

in userAddHandler, if userPrefixEnabled is False, process as normal.
If true, append the selected username to the aliases and set the
username to Site##_### or userPrefix###. We'd need to look at the
users in the site/users directory and find the highest existing user,
but I don't think that would be too hard.

I'm going to try this in one of my virtual machines to see what's
involved, but again, I think I'd rather have it added to the official
release than have a pkg muck around with userAddHandler.php.

Greg