[BlueOnyx:00878] Re: Feature Requests

Greg O'Lone blueonyxlist at stretchedout.com
Fri Mar 27 08:58:04 -05 2009

On Mar 27, 2009, at 2:55 am, Michael Stauber wrote:

> Hi Greg,
>
>> What I'm thinking of is a way to set username prefixes for each site.
>> I've been reading all that I can find about Sausalito, and after
>> putting some thought to it, I'm going to need to change the
>> userAddHandler.php file to make it work properly. I'm thinking that
>> I'd rather it be done at the distribution level so that it doesn't
>> screw things up later. So here's what's going through my mind:
>>
>> An optional VSite boolean property (userPrefixEnabled) which enables
>> username prefixes for each site. False would leave the current
>> behavior intact. userAdmin access only.
>>
>> An optional VSite alpha property (userPrefix) which would allow us to
>> override the default prefix.
>>
>> in userAddHandler, if userPrefixEnabled is False, process as normal.
>> If true, append the selected username to the aliases and set the
>> username to Site##_### or userPrefix###. We'd need to look at the
>> users in the site/users directory and find the highest existing user,
>> but I don't think that would be too hard.
>
> Yeah, that's a nice idea. I see some potential obstacles in the form
> of that
> Java script that suggests a username when you  enter the full name.
> So that
> needs to be tweaked as well. But aside from that it's certainly
> doable and
> would be a nice addition.

Michael,

Oops, right. I'm guessing we'd have to turn off the suggestion code if
the userPrefix was defined for a site. I've been playing around with
this on my test environment... trying to get it just right, but
haven't even approached the scenario of an existing user that already
fits the bill. I probably should look at the usernames of every user
on the box to check for duplicates (what a pain).

I'm juggling a few things right now, but I'll try to get back to this
soon.

Greg