[BlueOnyx:00887] Re: IP address allocation

Gerald Waugh gwaugh at frontstreetnetworks.com
Fri Mar 27 14:06:51 -05 2009

don caprio wrote in 'html'
I'm a bit confused about IP address allocation and virtual hosts.

I only have a small subnet'd class C address space and don't have enough
IP's for every virtual domain, nor would
I want to.  I used my primary ethernet address of the BO server for the ip
address allocation range. I plan on hosting a
dozen or so domains. Whats the best practices for this type of setup? Do I
really need a separate IP address for each virtual domain?
I have four physical ethernet interfaces on the server, of which only one is
being used.

My current hosting server is using apache and name based domains which is
what I want on the new BO server.

You should be able to put all sites on the same IP address.
Unless one of them needs a cert, and in that case that site should be on a
seperate IP.

Gerald