[BlueOnyx:01196] Re: problem with Nuonce script installer

Greg Kuhnert greg.kuhnert at theanchoragesylvania.com
Sat May 9 22:23:21 -05 2009

Ken Marcus - Precision Web Hosting, Inc. wrote:
> I thought I'd mention a couple of experiences I've had with the Nuonce
> script installer.
>
> First I had a VPS customer try to install a script on a subdomain using
> something like  ../somedir  as the directory path. That deleted his whole
> home directory.
When installing from a bluequartz CD, there is a pretty clear warning
that your drives will be formatted.

The webapp installer is the same. It gives a pretty clear warning...
"Please choose your directory carefully. Any directory you choose will
be over written. If you have any data in that directory, it will be
REMOVED prior to installing. This is to ensure the software you are
installing has no issues. Please manually make backups first, before you
continue."
> Then I myself on a different server changed the path of the directory,
> possibly I left off a slash, and it did the same thing, deleting the whole
> home directory.  Maybe I started a second attempt before the first was
> complete.  In any case it caused the same problem. This was on a standalone
> server so I had to CMU restore the 100 + sites. Then I had made a script to
> copy back in all the inboxes which did not restore. The mbox files were in
> the backup but for some reason did not restore.

This is a little more alarming / concerning. Logically, the only thing
that can do that would be if the user had their home directory in CCE
pointing to /home

If you or anyone else has any details about this behaviour, I'd love to
hear about it so that the root cause can be fixed in newer installers.

Speaking of bugfixes, there are already a number of changes to the
installer that are now available. The main fix was to some of the
upgrade scripts that were not working as expected. The fixed installer
is available at no charge to anyone who has purchased any NuOnce or
Compass webapplication modules. Contact me off list if you require more
information.

|   / \   Greg Kuhnert, gkuhnert at compassnetworks.com.au               |
| <  o  > Compass Networks - Pointing you in the right direction      |
|   \ /   Come see us for BlueQuartz / BlueOnyx modules & Support.    |