[BlueOnyx:02548] Re: New Cisco Router Help With BO

Chuck Tetlow chuck at tetlow.net
Fri Oct 2 15:05:40 -05 2009

ESMPT and SMTP are essentially the same thing.  And since they both use TCP Port 25 - they ARE the same thing to the router.  That protocol name in the end of a Cisco configuration line only identified a port name instead of a port number.

And the "ip inspect" configuration is part of the Intrusion Detection System (IDS) and firewall capability built into the router.  Its not what you want.

You seem to want to set the router to "bridged" mode - if you're trying to get it to act the same way your previous modem did.  But in that case, why have a router in the first case?  You could do it a whole lot cheaper and simpler with a modem.

Chuck