[BlueOnyx:02315] Protection Against Root Toolkit Attack

Phil Hamer phil at magma-group.co.uk
Tue Sep 8 16:31:53 -05 2009

Hi Guys.

Does anyone think that a Root Toolkit Detection system would be beneficial
on a BO server?

I am looking at Rkdet, chkrootkit, Tripwire, psionic and similar software
one of which should run ok with a little configuration.

I have been told (although I can not verify just how true that it is) that a
good packet sniffer could possibly build a set of usernames and passwords
for a linux system.

I already run fail2ban and use the inbuilt Pam intrusion protection but
guess that would not afford protection against a root toolkit attack.

If you could offer some brief advice it would be greatly received.

Phil.