[BlueOnyx:02320] Re: Sluggish passwords

DD bqlist at distortal.com
Wed Sep 9 06:56:47 -05 2009

Alan Kline wrote:
> I've noticed over the last day or so that whenever I need to log into
> my
> shell, send mail, or do ftp, my BX box is taking forever (or at least
> 15
> or 20 seconds) to accept the password. I don't think I've done
> anything
> through the GUI that could have affected anything, and I know I
> haven't
> made any changes through the command line. I use port 333 for ssh (to
> thwart the hackers) but the problem seems to be the same if I change
> any other port, including 22.
>
> (I use ssh for the shell, and sftp...)
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Alan

Hi Alan,

Do you have hostname lookups enabled?  I ask because I'm having a similar
problem with a brand new server, but it appears to be name resolution that
is slow - a wget from the command line takes just as long to resolve the
domain as your description of FTP connect, which I have as well.

Regards,

Dick