[BlueOnyx:02331] Re: email revisitied

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Wed Sep 9 12:11:28 -05 2009

Hi Tony,

> I still have no answer to getting email off a bx box.
>

> Using a php script I get errors when trying to get the box to send an email
> as in:
> Sep  9 10:31:37 bx03 sendmail[4255]: n89GVbiF004255:
> from=<apache at bx03.s1i.net>, size=246, class=0, nrcpts=0, proto=ESMTP,
> daemon=MTA, relay=localhost [127.0.0.1] Sep  9 10:31:37 bx03

Why is the script sending email as apache at bx03.s1i.net? That user of course
doesn't exist, hence he cannot send.

There are dozens of ways how you can send emails from a PHP script. And most -
if not all of them - allow you to define a valid sender address. Please do
that.

For examples see this:

http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.mail.php

Especially example #2 and #3 on that page.

For something much better than the stock mail() function (sending emails from
a PHP script with SMTP-Auth and optionally with SSL) see this:

http://email.about.com/od/emailprogrammingtips/qt/et073006.htm