[BlueOnyx:04199] Re: Mystery boot up issue with root filesystem?

Gerald Waugh gwaugh at raqware.com
Fri Apr 9 08:35:22 -05 2010

On Fri, 2010-04-09 at 14:01 +0100, Jeff Jones wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> After installing some file replication software, it won't seem to start up properly on BlueOnyx for some reason.
>
> >From the boot up - I see the server comes up past the "Re-mounting root filesystem in read-write mode" OK
> The next thing on the boot process, this replication software tries to run a script and write a log file. As the script runs, it tries to write to /var/log/nameoflogfile.log - but complains of 'No such file or directory'.
>
> I then get more of these No such file or directory' errors - after which a FAILED where the script fails.
>
> The next line in boot is
>
> Mounting local filesystems
> Enabling local filesystem quotas
>
> And so on..
>
> Because the script is unable to log, we can't see the problem. The server then boots up and works fine - just replication software not working.
>
> BX is telling that the root filesystem has been remounted in read / write mode - so in this case, why can't it see / write the log file to /var/log?
>
> Any ideas? Suggestions for me to troubleshoot further? I have tried creating the file manually, but I still get the error - it's almost as it the script can't access /var/log.

The /root file system does not contain var
So the script can't write until local file systems are mounted.
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-root
                      5.9G  4.8G  734M  88% /
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-tmp
                      2.0G  107M  1.8G   6% /tmp
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-home
                      436G   66G  348G  16% /home
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-var
                      3.9G  314M  3.4G   9% /var
/dev/md0              243M   26M  206M  11% /boot
tmpfs                 1.5G     0  1.5G   0% /dev/shm