[BlueOnyx:04236] Re: BlueOnyx on Ubuntu server

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Tue Apr 13 09:02:45 -05 2010

Hi Trond,

> What would it take to port blueOnyx to Ubuntu / Debian servers?

About 800 man hours of work for the initial porting and testing, a proper
infrastructure of mirrors to distribute the updates and 2-5 work days a month
for updates.

So in short: Unless someone invests a lot of time (and money) into it, it
ain't happening.

Don't get me wrong: Debian is a nice distribution, but all things considered
it doesn't do things much better than CentOS to warrant such an undertaking.

All the development tools for BlueOnyx are focussed on RPM based
distributions, too. So one of the very first steps of the porting procedure
would have to be to port the build environment itself to create Debian
packages instead of RPMs. That alone is a major effort. Next you'd have to
port CCE and all modules over and have to adapt them to Debian specific
oddities, which will be the majority of the work.

After all the work is done, you'll have a box that looks and feels just the
same as BlueOnyx on CentOS, but that isn't compatible. PKGs designed for
BlueOnyx on CentOS will not work, tips and tricks that might apply to BlueOnyx
on CentOS will most likely not apply to BlueOnyx on Debian and so on.

Bottom line: It's possible, but what would be the gain? I don't see any.