[BlueOnyx:05293] Re: Postgres on BX.

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Mon Aug 30 16:35:36 -05 2010

Hi Scott,

> Is it possible to host a Postgress DB on a Blueonyx server?   I have a few
> legacy sites that use Postgres extensively and I do not want ot have to
> port the code.

Sure, simply install it with YUM.

[root at cbx ~]# yum search postgres
Matched: postgres
qt-PostgreSQL.i386 : PostgreSQL drivers for Qt's SQL classes.
bind-sdb.i386 : The Berkeley Internet Name Domain (BIND) DNS (Domain Name
System) server with database backends.
freeradius-postgresql.i386 : postgresql bindings for freeradius
freeradius2-postgresql.i386 : Postgresql support for freeradius
libdbi-dbd-pgsql.i386 : PostgreSQL plugin for libdbi
mod_auth_pgsql.i386 : Basic authentication for the Apache web server using a
PostgreSQL database.
mono-data-postgresql.i386 : Postgresql database connectivity for Mono
pdns-backend-postgresql.i386 : PostgreSQL backend for pdns
perl-DBD-Pg.i386 : A PostgresSQL interface for perl
php-pdo.i386 : A database access abstraction module for PHP applications
php-pgsql.i386 : A PostgreSQL database module for PHP.
postgresql.i386 : PostgreSQL client programs and libraries.
postgresql-contrib.i386 : Contributed source and binaries distributed with
PostgreSQL
postgresql-devel.i386 : PostgreSQL development header files and libraries.
postgresql-docs.i386 : Extra documentation for PostgreSQL
postgresql-jdbc.i386 : JDBC driver for PostgreSQL
postgresql-libs.i386 : The shared libraries required for any PostgreSQL
clients.
postgresql-odbc.i386 : PostgreSQL ODBC driver.
postgresql-pl.i386 : The PL procedural languages for PostgreSQL.
postgresql-python.i386 : Development module for Python code to access a
PostgreSQL DB.
postgresql-server.i386 : The programs needed to create and run a PostgreSQL
server.
postgresql-tcl.i386 : A Tcl client library for PostgreSQL.
postgresql-test.i386 : The test suite distributed with PostgreSQL.
postgresql84.i386 : PostgreSQL client programs
postgresql84-contrib.i386 : Contributed modules distributed with PostgreSQL
postgresql84-devel.i386 : PostgreSQL development header files and libraries
postgresql84-docs.i386 : Extra documentation for PostgreSQL
postgresql84-libs.i386 : The shared libraries required for any PostgreSQL
clients
postgresql84-plperl.i386 : The Perl procedural language for PostgreSQL
postgresql84-plpython.i386 : The Python procedural language for PostgreSQL
postgresql84-pltcl.i386 : The Tcl procedural language for PostgreSQL
postgresql84-python.i386 : Development module for Python code to access a
PostgreSQL DB
postgresql84-server.i386 : The programs needed to create and run a PostgreSQL
server
postgresql84-tcl.i386 : A Tcl client library for PostgreSQL
postgresql84-test.i386 : The test suite distributed with PostgreSQL
proftpd-postgresql.i386 : Module to add PostgreSQL support to the ProFTPD FTP
server
qt4-postgresql.i386 : PostgreSQL drivers for Qt's SQL classes
rhdb-utils.i386 : Miscellaneous utilities for PostgreSQL - CentOS Edition.
rsyslog-pgsql.i386 : PostgresSQL support for rsyslog
unixODBC.i386 : A complete ODBC driver manager for Linux.

Just pick the packages you need and install them with ...

yum install <package-name>

Like ...

yum install php-pgsql.i386 postgresql-server.i386

That will install - as a bare minimum - the Postgres PHP bindings (so that PHP
scripts can "talk" with Postgres) and the Postgres Server. It'll also fetch a
few other dependencies.