[BlueOnyx:03683] Re: Unable to create new sites

Steve Howes steve-lists at geekinter.net
Thu Feb 25 12:47:29 -05 2010

On 25 Feb 2010, at 17:00, Steve Howes wrote:
>> Would extracting the ranges and adding that to the oid file in the
>> form
>> a-b,c-d,x-y etc help eventually ?
>
> I'll try and write a script to do that. last time i tried doing it by
> hand i went a bit crazy.

Hi,

I've made a script to do this. It's not my nicest bit of code by far,
but it should work!  To 'cover my arse' I will say the following:

1. Backup your /usr/sausalito/codb/ folder in it's entirety
2. Back up what you can with raqbackup/cmuexport
3. If its a VM and you can copy the entire disk, do that to
4. This script is untested in a live environment and I cannot accept
any responsibility if it is wrong. It is supplied on a best efforts
basis
5. Once you've run the script and copied over the file, try and do
something simple like rename a person, change an alias. If that
doesn't work, copy the old codb.oids back and let me know.

To install do this:

cd ~
wget http://www.geekinter.net/factoids.txt -Ofactoids.pl
chmod 700 factoids.pl
./factoids.pl

This will give you a file 'myoids' in your home directory which
*should* be an accurate list, but please have a quick look in it with
cat to make sure it is sensible.

By putting this in place of /usr/sausalito/codb/codb.oids it will mean
the CODB does not try and overwrite objects that exist. BUT - and its
a big BUT, if an object has been created successfully (one which the
GUI thinks wasn't) then it could end up trying to create a duplicate
next (i.e. you will get 'address in use' or 'site already exists' sort
of errors). There could be further 'tidying' left to do. We'll have to
cross this if/when we come to it. Doing a tail-f /var/log/messages
whilst doing the tests would be good, if anything bad happens post the
relevant sections to the list.

Hope that all made sense, it's been a long day ;)